ATHLETIC PACKET: your paperwork must be CLEARED before you can begin participating with the team.
The paperwork to participate in any HCPS sport is done entirely online and is available on the HCPS Athletics "Student Forms" webpage. No paper copies will be distributed to athletes. You must print the pages (if you are unable to print, talk with Coach Guerra to figure out a solution) and then photograph and upload them through an app such as Genius Scan or CamScanner. All student-athletes at Alonso must be cleared by the A.P.A. prior to any participation (even practices). After uploading, clearance can take over a week; if the paperwork has a single error, it will be denied, further delaying an athlete's participation. Athletes who want to be cleared in time for the first day of practice at the end of July should submit their paperwork by mid-June. Some suggestions when uploading your documents are:
- Physical - scan all 3 documents into 1 document and then upload. Signatures MUST be visible, date of physical must be there, and the stamp from the doctor's office needs to be on page 2.
- 3 video certificates - scan all 3 as 1 document, and upload.
- Government-issued ID (passport NOT accepted) - address MUST match the address on proof of residency (utility bill)
- Students who will attend Alonso by choice (not zoned by neighborhood)...
- If paperwork is denied, both parent and student must sign everything again after uploading missing items.
Our team dues each season are $25.00. You can pay by check (made out to Alonso Booster Club, with "swim team" written as the memo), cash, or online on the Booster Club's website. The online price is $26.00 total due to Square Up charging a service fee.
Each swimmer or diver receives a team T-shirt and an Alonso swim cap included with team dues. Athletes must purchase their own swim suits, goggles, and any other attire they wish. One of the nearest places to purchase items in person is Dick's Sporting Goods (be sure to purchase competitive swim gear), and online resources such as Amazon.com, Swim Outlet, and S & R Sport have many options.
We are working with BSN to create official Alonso Swim & Dive team gear that will include suits, windbreakers, and shirts.
The Alonso coaches encourage our swimmers and divers to stay in the water outside the high school season, including trying other aquatic sports. Here are a few teams and activities around the area, listed more or less by proximity to Alonso.
- Northwest Family YMCA. Teen memberships are $37/mo for those who are not already members with their families. The teen group is $40/mo and practices 7:00-8:00 P.M. Mon and Thu; the Masters group is FREE and practices 7:00-8:00 P.M. Wed.
- Pipeline (Westchase)
- Berkeley Prep
- Swim Tampa Aquatics (Tampa Jewish Community Center)
- TYS Stingrays (Bob Sierra YMCA)
- dive group at the Greater Palm Harbor YMCA. The cost is $80/mo, and practices are Mon/Tue/Thu afternoons during the school year and 8:00-9:45 A.M. Mon/Wed/Fri in the summer.
- WFLA Diving (Berkeley Prep [on hiatus], Clearwater, Largo)
- Tampa Bay Tropics/Tampa Bay Water Polo Club (Interbay Pool and Bobby Hicks) - 10% discount for Alonso High students!
- Tampa Bay Sync Rays (Interbay Pool)
Open Water Swimming
- There are no open water training groups for youth swimmers in the Tampa Bay area, but here is a list of races.
- If you wish to train in open water, be sure you go with an experienced swimmer. Here are links water quality information for the 2 beaches closest to Alonso: Ben T. Davis Beach and Cypress Park Point.